Centre for Environmental Law and Policy (CELP)
Who we are –
The Centre for Environmental Law and Policy (CELP) is the pioneer institution within the Sri Lankan University system which specialises in Environmental Law related research, policy making, and advocacy. CELP was initiated in 2020 affiliated to the Faculty of Law, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Our vision –
To make the University of Colombo a leader in Environmental Law and policy related research and education in Sri Lanka as a recognised authority and a pioneer in Environmental Law and policy.
To build a platform for Environmental Law and policy to research, collaborate, learn and engage in order to build an environmentally conscious society.
Our Services and contributions –
- A Compilation on Animal Welfare: Provisions and Case Law, Vol. 1, Stamford Lake Publications, 2020.
- A Compilation of Public Nuisance : Provisions and Case Law, Vol. 2, Stamford Lake Publications, 2021.
- South Asian Environmental Law Report Volume 1 (in progress)
- Proposals for the drafting of a new Constitution to replace the Second Republican Constitution of Sri Lanka.
- Look Beyond Wilpattu: Legal Insights to Environmental Law Concepts and Principles, an article published on Daily News on 14th 0f December 2020. https://www.dailynews.lk/2020/12/14/features/236039/look-beyond-wilpattu
- Saving Nature by the Books, an article published on Ceylon Today on 21st of November 2020. https://ceylontoday.lk/news/saving-nature-by-the-books
- The Right is for Them: Adoption of Rights of Nature Approach to Protect Natural Resources in Sri Lanka, a newspaper article appeared on CeylonToday on 13th of December 2020.
- Significant contributions to legal literature, a newspaper article appeared on Daily News on 13th of January 2020. http://www.dailynews.lk/2021/01/13/tc/238596/significant-contributions-legal-literature
- A chat on Sustainable Development Goals https://youtu.be/jTMs_RT_x7g
Our Team –
● FOUNDING DIRECTOR
Dr. Kokila Konasinghe
● ADVISORY BOARD
- Prof. Dr. Ellen Hey (https://www.eur.nl/people/ellen-hey)
- Prof. Dr. Amitha Singh (https://www.jnu.ac.in/Faculty/asingh/)
- Prof. Dr. Sumudu Atapattu (https://firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Prof. Wasantha Seneviratne (https://www.res.cmb.ac.lk/public.international.law/wasantha/)
- Dr. Jagath Gunawardhane (https://ceylontoday.lk/news/honorary-doctorate-for-jagath-gunawardana)
- Akalanka Thilakarathne
- Asanka Edirisinghe
- Bhagya Wickramasinghe
- Dilantha Aluthge
- Dilushi Senavirathna
- Dulki Seethawaka
- Dushmanthi Poragoda
- Gayathri Karannagoda
- Kithmini Aviruppola
- Manjula Baranage
- Nath Gunawardena
- Nipunika Rajakaruna
- Nishara Mendis
- Oshini Senadhipathi
- Samali Sudasinghe
- Samya Senarathne
- Selvaraj Puwanitha
- Shaloshi Fernando
Contact Us –
CENTRE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL LAW AND POLICY (CELP)
Faculty of Law, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.